All the upholstery, bedding and carpet need cleaning at proper intervals to remove the sweat, dust and oil, so do the pillows. Everyone finds buying new pillows easier than to wash the old ones. However, if you have forgotten to wash the pillows since last 6 months or they look yellow then it is time to wash them. After washing them, you will feel the fresh fabric and sleep happily.
Cleaning your pillows
Cleaning your pillows is as simple as others. You should preferably use a scent free gentle detergent. Make sure to press out the extra air from the cushion, before putting them into the washer. If your washer has top load feature, you can put in 2 pillows at one time for balancing.
If it includes a front load washer, without an agitator, you can put in 1 or 2 pillows as per load. Select the warm water feature, run one full cycle and one more spin to remove the excess moisture.
2 basic methods to clean pillows
- Remove the cases of your pillows and also zip covers if any. The covers should be washed separately than the cushion body.
- Put your pillows inside the washing machine. It is safer, if there are 2 pillows at one time for perfect balancing.
- Next step is to add some detergent. For extra whiteness, you can add bleach, borax and powdered dishwasher.
- Let the wash cycle run and allow the magic to occur.
- Allow the pillows to dry in the dryer.
- Check the pillows and if you still find moisture in them, repeat the drying procedure.
Washing cotton and synthetic pillows
- Remove the pillow case or any protective covering it has before washing.
- It is advised not to use a washing machine for memory foam pillows, since they are sensitive. Fill a tub with warm water. The water quantity should be enough to dip one pillow.
- Add the detergent or the washing liquid, stir it to get bubbles and mix evenly.
- Now put in the pillow so that the detergent does its work. Massage and compress the pillow to remove dirt.
- Remove the pillow and put it under the fresh water. Rinse it properly to get the detergent out of it.
- Memory foam pillow will need lower heat levels so that it does not crumble. Therefore, best is to dry it in sun.
- Check if your pillow is properly dried. Ensure there is no moisture left inside.
Washing memory foam pillows
There is an interesting drying method for pillows, tie 2 socks to the 2 tennis balls. Balls will beat the excess moisture and socks shall prevent the colour and the smell of the ball to get into the pillow. Then, use a low heat dryer and smell if there is any moisture still left.
Tips to know your pillows better
- With the passage of time, cushions carry dander, sweat, oils and dust. Therefore, it is necessary that you wash them at least 2 – 3 times a year.
- If the pillow springs back, there is no need, but if you fold it and it stay in that position, you surely need to change it.
- Throw pillows also need to be cleaned like the bed pillows. Just ensure you remove the covers, while cleaning.
- Pillows might get double their weight by absorbing bacteria, allergens, dust, mold, etc.
- Best tip to test the life of your pillow is – fold it, if it bounces back, it is good but if it doesn’t throw it away and get a new one for your comfort.
- You should substitute your pillows every 2 years.
- You can add baking soda or vinegar, while washing if the pillow smells or is musty.